Hyperion error: GSM_unabletoacquireLSM unable to open explorer/reports

I’ve struggled with a particularly annoying bit of Hyperion errors on my brand new sandbox environment. It should have been a fairly straightforward install. I built a CentOS virtual machine, downloaded 11.1.2.4 version of Hyperion files and off with the install. The installation was very smooth, and so I proceeded to start the services using the start.sh batch. My first hint should have been the longer than normal time it took to start all services. Anyway, once the batch script did finish running, I proceeded to login to workspace front end. It is then I encountered the dreaded “GSM_unabletoacquireLSM” error message, followed by another warning about RA Framework.

Startup document not found error

Startup document not found error
I have also seen this error when I tired to open “Explore” option. “The required application module ‘cds.explorer’ is not configured.”

Some google search results pointed me towards checking if the RA service was running on port 6800, and it was. The service was actually running properly, yet it couldn’t be accessed from workspace.
Although Hyperion Planning, HFM, Cacl Manager etc. worked fine, the “Explore” option wouldn’t work, and so did  half of Reporting tools.
I patiently poured through the logs and nothing indicated anything amiss. The validate command returned a  full-green screen indicating that there is nothing wrong with the install. So what gives, right!!?
A little bit of snooping around I discovered that the issue may be because of host resolution issues within the RA database schema. In the table “V8_Hosts”, the hostname was “localhost”.  Localhost usually resolves itself to 127.0.0.1 but it should also resolve to the IP address assigned to the server. On my particular server, that wasn’t happening, and in turn resulted in RA framework not being in sync with  shared services.

Host is recorded as "localhost" in stead of the actual hostname

Host is recorded as “localhost” in stead of the actual hostname
The Solution
Luckily, the solution to this problem is fairly straightforward. You connect to the Hyperion schema, either via sqlplus command or  sqldeveloper. The screenshot below shows me using sqldeveloper.  You simply replace the term “localhost” with the actual hostname of the server.

Updated the hostname

Updated the hostname

Then, simply restart the Hyperion services stack, and hopefully the issue should be resolved.

starting the Hyperion services stack

Successful login into workspace and the front-end

starting the Hyperion services stack
Successful login into workspace and the front-end

The author of this article can be reached via email at Rajesh Valluri.  His linkedin profile is here.

Leave a Reply